Monday, March 19, 2007

Sorry I did not write on Friday, but as you know my parents' furniture was arriving and so did a huge snow storm, but let's start from the beginning. I talked to the truck driver on Thursday night, and he said: "I'll call you at 7:30 a.m. to tell you if I can deliver with the storm. If I can, I'll be there at 9." I let my parents know, and I went to sleep after setting up my alarm clock for 7 a.m. At 7:20 a.m., I got a call from my mother, which I could only imagine was frantic, in her nightgown, hair standing straight up on her head, glasses askew, "Caroline, le chauffeur est la!!!" (the driver, is here.) I said I was on my way, I hung up, and dashed upstairs, swearing at every step, and of course, in my great hurry forgot about step number 7, the one that is half the width of the other, and crashed. I heard a voice coming from upstairs: "Are you OK?" I slammed the wall with my fist, composed my voice, and said: "I'm fine, thank you." You know, once a lady, always a lady.
I put on whatever clothes I could find, and since I could not find my socks borrowed Rolfe's, and ran out the door.
The driver was this little, elderly man, who was convinced my parents could not understand a word he was saying. He seemed relieved to see me, in particular when it came to explaining to my parents how one of their antique chairs had a broken foot. I stood for 5 hours outside giving directions to the delivery people, directing them to one room or another. In my great hurry, however, I had forgotten about hat, gloves, and scarf. The temperature was about 25 degrees F. The snow was starting to fall, increasing gradually to light blizzard strength. To keep warm I climbed inside the truck, I even started unloading stuff. I think the guys were very surprised, to see this little French woman in high heels ( I forgot to tell you that of course, I picked light leather high heel shoes for the delivery!) pushing and carrying boxes!
My parents were happy to be setting up their new home, and I got to help them, which made me happy.

The rest of the day was great, as it was snowing so much. The kids had never seen so much snow fall at once, and we went for quite a few walks during the day and in the evening to be able to enjoy the blizzard fully! It did take a 30 minute boiling shower to thaw me!

On the painting front, things are going well, but I am feeling some sense of urgency. Alexandra's cello teacher is coming in a few hours and the living room looks...interesting... To make things a little more confusing, my parents actually returned some of my French furniture to me now that I have a big house, and room to put it. In any case a picture is worth a thousand words.

On the sock front, I decided to knit a pair of socks for my mother in law's birthday on the 23rd of this month, which means that each time I put my paint brush down, I will knit a row, actually each time my hands are free I will be knitting a row... As of now this is how far I am with the socks. Rolfe does seem a little concerned about the deadline...

No comments: