Monday, April 16, 2007

Ostrich Fantasy Socks


I had a great weekend, full of knitting!
I finished the "Ostrich Fantasy socks" for Alexandra, and they look amazing.
Yarn used:Fleece artist , Merino 2/6, Fingering weight, color Ruby Red
Pattern: My own, inspired by Barbara Walker

The stitch pattern is easy to memorize, and follows the ankle and foot gracefully without any odd pulling. It was a very satisfying and relaxing sock to knit. The yarn is incredibly soft, has a beautiful texture, and is very agreable to work. The colors have great depth.

Alexandra wore them for the first time yesterday, and proudly showed them to the members of the Knitsmiths group. The Knitsmiths are a vibrant, fun group of knitters that meet in a bookstore in Brookline every Sunday. Alexandra and I joined them for the first time yesterday, and we loved it. I even sat next to a Smith college graduate, and we exchanged fond memories of our days there. There were hat knitters, sweater knitters, and of course lots of sock knitters. Stariel was there, she had just come back from sock camp and showed us the great Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock yarns she got at camp.
While I was with the Knitsmiths, I started a new sock using yarn I purchased at Mind's Eye Yarns , in Cambridge. The yarn is hand-dyed by the owner of the store, Lucy, and is a blend of Merino and Tencel. The color makes me think of leaves. So I decided to add an embossed leaf pattern to it, and I am toying with the idea of embroidering...

It is the Boston Marathon today, but the weather is a little too wet for my taste, and the wind pins you in place, so I'll stay home. The children are working on their respective school reports. In short, it is the most perfect day for knitting. "Rose Garden Socks" here I come!

No comments: