Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I had to say something...

I know I have a knitting blog. But just for amoment, I need to talk about the world that I live in. You all know what I am getting to. I want to say a word about the presidential primaries. No, I am not going to tell you who I like or don't like, because I believe this is a private matter. I just want to share with you my dismay at the fundamentally flawed election process.
I am a resident of Massachusetts, and will be voting in February, knowing the outcome of the primaries for other states. Whether I support the outcome, or disagree with it, I am bound to vote in reaction to it. My vote will not be impartial. It seems many people do not see a problem, and say they are not influenced, but then why would the news be using using words like building on the momentum, and why would political scientists refer to a bandwagon effect?
A truly democratic election would have us all vote on the same day, and would not disclose any results until the last polling booth had closed. Other countries do it, so why can't we?

7 comments:

Chrispy said...

I agree. My state is so far down the ranks that it does not normally matter who was in the running to be voted for. We normally only get to vote for the person who was already chosen.

Anonymous said...

It is such a dog and pony show and so much money is wasted. Imagine what we could do with all the money spent on all the campaigns. How many people would that clothe, house and feed? Think about it. It's no wonder that so many people in this country are so turned off to politics.

Happy new year wishes to you and your family!
Laura R
Petaluma

Bethany said...

I totally agree with you. I also htink the press should not be allowed the declare the front trunners for us. This whole thing is a disappointing mess and I feel like I cannot get any REAL info on any of the candidates. I do not think Iowa, South Carolina, or New Hampshire is an accurate representation of the rest of America and I resent them having the loudest voices. I don't understand why we only have a 2 party system either or that misery of an electoral college, I think there is a lot we can learn from the democratic processes in other countries.

maryse said...

i have to agree with you. already they're saying that if so and so doesn't win in NH that it's over for them. why should two relatively small states like iowa and NH decide who our candidates will be?!

stupid.

Anonymous said...

Not to mention how much time and money would be saved. Unfortunately each state has it's own set of rules.

I am also from MA and refuse to let the 'momentum' of any candidate change or dictate who I plan to vote for in the primaries.

Jam said...

I came across your blog today, great blog. I agree with your comment. I can't vote yet, still waiting to become a citizen but have been frustrated by the press and how they try to interprete every single thing that the candidates say. This election is so driven by the media, so sad.

Ruth said...

Hear Hear! By the time the primaries get to NJ, it's all over.