I have over time been collecting vintage knitting pattern books. Whenever I find one at thrift store, or at a garage sale, or if I am really lucky in a box of discarded items on the street, I get it, no matter what the era, whether it is for children, men or women or even for the house.
Of course I would be lying if I said I did not have a favorite era. The 40s and 50s are my absolute favorites.
I have never knit quite a few projects these books. What I enjoy the most is looking through them. I study the pictures, and read the patterns often, admiring a line, a shoulder, a lace detail, or a stitch.
They are a constant source of inspiration for me.
It is a shame that I do not come across these books very often. They are becoming harder and harder to find.
But thanks to the internet, you can now get downloadable version of some of them over the internet.
If you are like me and like these vintage knitting patterns here is a list of links to sites that offer free downloadable vintage knitting patterns.
- Free Vintage Knitting offers maybe the largest selection of vintage patterns for the whole family and for the house. You can either print the retyped pattern from the screen or you can purchase a restored version for download.
- Vintage Purls offers a nice selection of free vintage knitting patterns for men women and children and a few items for the home.
- Glamrama has a small but nice selection of free vintage patterns. Check out the Bernat Cape from 1956!
- Yarn Lover's Room offers a selection of free retyped patterns you can print directly from the screen.
- V&A offers a small selection of free vintage patterns from the 1940's in England for download
Have fun browsing! And if you have a favorite site with free vintage patterns not on the list, let me know and I will add it to the list.